About the Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC)
IREC provides independent leadership and trusted clean energy expertise. Working toward a 100% clean energy future that is reliable, resilient and equitable, IREC’s mission is to build the foundation for rapid adoption of clean energy and energy efficiency to benefit people, the economy and our planet.
In support of our mission, IREC:
Advances state regulatory reform and adoption of best practices
Develops and disseminates thought-leading tools resources and education
Develops and implements foundational codes and standards
Provides high quality clean energy workforce training and accreditation
IREC operates virtually with a small office in Albany, New York and employees located in six states.
About the position
The Communications Director will manage IREC’s communication programs with the overall goals of increasing awareness of IREC, our mission, programs and successes among our core target audiences (e.g., state utility regulators and staff, clean energy industry, allied industry workforce professionals) as well as leveraging IREC communications to meet development targets and attract new and retain existing funding sources for the organization. The Director will manage and oversee other communications staff and contractors, and will collaborate with other IREC staff on various programmatic initiatives. This position will report directly to the President and work collaboratively with the Program Vice Presidents.
Communications Strategy & Management
• Provide leadership on the short-and long-term communications and marketing strategies to increase IREC’s brand and recognition as a national clean energy leader and contribute to the overall success of IREC’s programs;
• Prioritize and manage multiple simultaneous editorial, marketing, and communications projects and tasks, including for programs, events, development and general outreach to produce high quality, strategic content, within budget and meeting established timelines;
• Plan and execute (including delegating and managing other staff) all organizational communications functions, including general communications, program-specific communications efforts, sponsorship and fundraising campaigns, and promotion of IREC events;
• Develop and manage communications work plans, with deliverables, timelines, assignments, and metrics for evaluating impact;
• Develop and oversee communication budgets, in coordination with Senior Management;
• Identify, track and utilize metrics to ensure IREC’s impact (and to improve communication functions over time);
• Provide input on IREC’s strategic planning efforts, including program outreach/communication approaches and strategies to support identified goals.
• Support efforts to establish and nurture relationship with existing and potential funders and partners to align IREC’s strategic communications efforts to meet organizational development goals;
• Manage and oversee communications staff, contractors and vendors.
Marketing, Outreach & Engagement
• Develop and implement a social media and media strategy to support IREC’s strategic objectives, programmatic goals and development programs;
• Maintain and enhance IREC’s online presence, including maintaining and regularly updating IREC’s websites with content, identifying and developing content for the IREC Report, announcement emails, and other electronic communications;
• Support development of organizational messaging for outreach, education, development and programmatic campaigns;
• Communicate IREC’s messages to a broad group of targeted audiences, including through partnerships and media relations;
• Oversee and maintain IREC’s stakeholder lists, with the goal to increase IREC’s reach and influence with targeted audiences;
• Direct and oversee the development and production of on-line and print resources, including reports, publications, brochures, appeal letters and other documents, in coordination with appropriate staff, contractors, and vendors;
• Increase target audience participation in and awareness of IREC events, including the Vision Summit, webinars, sponsor briefings, workshops, conferences, and other related outreach events.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from a regionally-accredited college or university
• Ability to travel domestically on occasion (approximately 1-2 times per quarter)
• Ability to remotely manage staff and contractors
• Project management skills
• Personnel management
• Demonstrated success in achieving strategic goals in collaboration with, or through management of, staff across functional departments
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• A positive attitude and aptitude for collaboration
• A passion for the mission of IREC and a strong desire to impact our organization
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work independently and remotely
• Ability to work collaboratively within a small team
• Master’s degree preferred in the functional field of marketing, communications, public relations or event management
• Direct experience in renewable energy or energy efficiency energy or energy storage industry
• Experience in communications with a nonprofit organization
• Experience marketing events or products
• Experience leveraging social media for branding and promotional purposes
• Experience contributing to non-profit development activities including grants, corporate sponsorships and donations
• Experience communicating with both lay and technical audiences
• Experience facilitating communications among a network of allied organizations
• Experience developing and managing a departmental budget
Submit resumé, cover letter, professional writing sample, references and relevant example(s) of communications work via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 6, 2019 or until the position is filled.