Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a full-time Renewable Energy Environmental Planning/Permitting Lead, location of position is flexible depending on qualified applicant.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic environmental and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
The successful candidate will have experience and expertise in project management, environmental planning/permitting and environmental consulting and will be responsible for leading efforts to expand our permitting services, with a particular emphasis on the solar energy industry.
• Develop and lead a WEST Renewable Energy Environmental Planning/Permitting Program with an emphasis on solar energy
• Foster current business relationships and actively promote new business development efforts, with an emphasis on solar energy projects
• Capitalize on existing client relationships to expand WEST’s profile and market share, with a focus on solar and other possible industries
• Complete and direct various project management and support tasks related to siting evaluation, environmental planning/permitting, and/or environmental reviews (e.g., federal/state/local site permitting and environmental reviews, wetland and/or water resource permitting, Environmental Site Assessments, etc.)
• Direct multi-disciplinary teams in completing environmental reviews for small, medium, and large-scale renewable energy projects
• Coordinate with local/state/federal agencies, tribes and the public in support of client-directed project work
• Direct, coordinate and review environmental technical work performed by internal and external (i.e., sub consultants) team members
• Perform quality checks to ensure WEST standards and client requirements are met
• Develop significant portions of presentations and direct public facilitation
• Prepare scopes of work, budget estimates and respond to proposal requests
• Train and oversee the work of staff supporting environmental planning and permitting services.
• Help maintain WEST’s position as thought leaders in the energy-environmental consulting market
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position
• A Bachelor’s degree in environmental planning, natural resources, biological science, ecology, or related field with a Master’s degree preferred
• Experience working in the energy industry with a preference for solar project planning/permitting experience
• Eight or more years of environmental planning and permitting experience successfully coordinating and managing document preparation
• Strong writing and editing skills with the ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately report scientific methods and results of field studies
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Good time management, project management and organizational skills with the ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines
• Ability to follow instructions from clients and managers and accept guidance and constructive criticism
• Ability to effectively supervise others
• Occasional travel and overnight stays will be required
• Location is flexible but with preference for relocation to one of our existing branch or field office locations (Golden Valley, Minnesota; Corvallis, Oregon; Houston, Texas; Cheyenne, Wyoming; Albuquerque, NM, Fort Collins, Colorado; Bloomington, Indiana; Lemoyne, Pennsylvania; and Henderson, Nevada)
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST is an employee-owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce
• Competitive salary including potential for profit sharing
• Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision
• SEP/IRA (100% employer contributions, after initial eligibility requirements are met)
• Scheduling Flexibility including vacation time, sick leave, and paid holidays
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.